Preventing running injuries is crucial in maintaining good form and completing running goals. When the body is strong, running injuries may be avoided. Many people understand the importance of running correctly and training to get the body accustomed to running. Most runners enjoy having a goal that can range from running a few miles on the weekend to practicing to run a marathon. It is important to warm up and cool down before and after running to help prevent running injuries. If you would like to know how running injuries affect the feet as well as learn about successful prevention strategies, it is suggested that you confer with a podiatrist.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of New Jersey Foot & Ankle Centers. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Oradell, NJ . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.